postdoctoral position

Mary Lou Guerinot Mary.Lou.Guerinot at DARTMOUTH.EDU
Sat Jun 3 07:56:34 EST 1995

Postdoctoral Position
Dartmouth College
Hanover, New Hampshire

A postdoctoral research position is available immediately for up to 3 years to
study iron uptake in Arabidopsis thaliana.  Under iron deficiency, dicots and
non-graminaceous monocots increase ferric reductase activity and release
protons into the rhizosphere.  Both of these serve to make iron more available
to the plant.  We have identified mutants which lack inducible ferric reductase
activity or which lack regulation of ferric reductase activity.  The mutations
have been mapped and work is underway to clone genes identified by these
mutations.  Other related projects include study of proton release under iron
deficiency and cloning of gene(s) encoding the ferrous transporter.  A
background in molecular biology and genetics is required.  The position is
available as soon as August 1995.

If interested, please contact Mary Lou Guerinot at the Madison Arabidopsis
meeting.  Alternatively, send a letter of application, Curriculum vitae,
reprints or preprints and names, addresses and FAX numbers of 3 references to
Dr. Mary Lou Guerinot, Department of Biological Sciences, Dartmouth College,
6044 Gilman Lab, Hanover, NH  03755-3576.  Telephone (603)646-2527; FAX
(603)646-1347.  Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer.

A few words about Dartmouth:  Dartmouth is a small, Ivy League university with
an undergraduate body of about 4300 and a graduate and professional school
enrollment of approximately 850.  We offer Ph.D programs in all of the
Sciences;  there is an extensive group whose research interests are focused on
cellular, molecular and developmental biology.  This includes researchers from
Dartmouth Medical School and the Thayer School of Engineering, as well as from
the Chemistry and Biological Sciences departments of the College.

We are situated in Hanover, a traditional New England town in the heart of
winter skiing and summer lake resort areas.  The campus is on the Connecticut
River, which forms the border between New Hampshire and Vermont.  The
Appalachian Trail runs through Hanover.  We are only a two hour drive from
Boston and a three hour drive from Montreal, providing ample opportunities for
sampling big city life.