dbEST update on the Arabidopsis Research Companion

John Morris john.morris at FRODO.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Jun 12 13:23:03 EST 1995

The WAIS index of Arabidopsis dbEST entries on the Arabidopsis Research
Companion Gopher has just been updated courtesy of the National Center for
Biological Information (NCBI).  There are now 18,235 Arabidopsis ESTs from
dbEST on the gopher server.  The entries are accessible using keyword
searches such as "glucose and transferase" or "membrane and glyco*" (with
out the quotes), or use a GenBank accession number.

In addition to the DNA sequence, the entries have sections on high scoring
simalarities to members of the non-redundant nucleotide and protein
databases.

To search the database, first connect to the gopher server.  Try the
command;  gopher weeds.mgh.harvard.edu

once the menu appears choose option 5

      1.  About the AAtDB Research Companion
      2.  Commonly Asked Questions about Gopher
      3.  Help Searching the WAIS databases
      4.  ...
 -->  5.  Arabidopsis Information (thale cress)

On the next page, choose option 10

 -->  10. Arabidopsis cDNA Sequences in dbEST <?>
      11. Arabidopsis BioSci Electronic Conference  <?>

You can also connect via our World Wide Web server, the  URL
<http://weeds.mgh.harvard.edu/atlinks.html> is a page with a link to the
gopher menu above.

If you have a Web browser, I recommend the NCBI's own EST
database search facility, which allows you to search ESTs from several
organisms.  The URL is <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/dbEST/index.html>

Regards,
John

John Morris, PhD