imagene green/red

malamj01 at mcrcr6.med.nyu.edu malamj01 at mcrcr6.med.nyu.edu
Sun Jun 18 12:06:13 EST 1995

Thanks for the responses about Imagene green/red.  No one reported
success.  Perhaps this should encourage Molecular Probes to distribute
some samples.
Here are the responses:

I had tried Imagene green on whole intact plants to look at roots.  I
tried it on a fairly strong contruct, CDC2A-GUS, but there was too
much background to ever see a specific signal  (a lot seemed to stick
to the cell wall and fluoresced).  Unfortunately, I didn't try much
more than that
since, I had been given a small aliquot from someone else.  I too
tried to get info from Mol Probes, but they only had tested it on
protoplasts, not whole plants.

I be curious to hear if anyone has had success with it.

Hope you have better luck than I did,

Chip Celenza
I saw your message about imagine red.  We are just now giving
it a try, for use in confocal microscopy analysis of gene gun blasted
amaranth plants.  We have had some problems, such as getting rid of a
considerable amount of autofluroescence without reducing the imagene
red fluroescence.  So, we are still in progress with this stuff.  I
may be able
to tell you more in a couple of weeks.  I agree, the tech people at
mol probes are not very helpful, at least with this stuff.

Jim Berry
Regarding your interest in Imagene Green, I tested it's activity as a
fluor only once a few years ago and sent it back to Molecular Probes
for a refund.
I did a side by side comparison of 4-MUG fluorescence and Imagene
Green and found that Imagene was about 1000 times less sensitive a
reporter as MUG.  At that point I was discouraged and did not test
other factors such as diffusi-
bility or toxicity.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck,
Chris Rock

I tried imagene green with Arabidopsis roots with no luck. It was not
toxic but I didn't obtain any results mainly because of background in
WT. I was trying to get staining with a line expressing GUS weekly and
I had no signal or staining everywhere.
Please tell me if you hear of any trick.

Thank you

Dr.P. GALLOIS
Laboratoire de Physiologie Vegetale
Universite de Perpignan