Postdoctoral Position

Mary Alice Webb webb at btny.purdue.edu
Fri Jun 23 13:13:51 EST 1995

I am seeking candidates for a postdoctoral position as described in the
announcement below.  Please contact me at the address given below to apply or
to request additional information.

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Purdue University

A postdoctoral position  is available to study cellular/molecular features of
calcium oxalate crystal formation in grape (Vitis) leaves and roots.  Calcium
oxalate crystals represent a significant pool of calcium in most higher
plants, where they provide a mechanism for sequestering excess calcium in
bulk.  In many plants crystals develop in the vacuole of specialized cells in
association with an array of organic materials that mediate and control the
crytallization process.  In grape, which produces crystals in a needle-like
morphology unique to plants, we have isolated and characterized the
intravacuolar organic matrix of specialized crystal-forming cells (see Webb et
al., 1995, Plant J. 7:  633-648).  Our NSF-funded research examines
intravacuolar membrane systems involved in calcium oxalate crystallization,
using polyclonal antibodies we have developed against selected membrane
proteins.  Studies proposed and in progress include affinity purification of
immunoreactive proteins and their characterization, immunolocalization of
proteins in relation to the development of crystal-forming cells, and
isolation and characterization of cDNA clones for genes encoding
crystal-associated proteins.  The postdoctoral position will provide a unique
opportunity for a committed individual to advance this area of research.

Preference will be given to individuals with a strong background in
biochemical and molecular approaches and with a desire for training in light
and electron microscopy, immunocytochemistry and in situ hybridization.
Starting salary will range from $22,000 - $24,000 commensurate with
qualifications.  Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Appointment is anticipated to begin  in August of 1995.  Please send a current
curriculum vitae , references, and a half-page summary of previous research
experience to the following address.

Dr. Mary Alice Webb
Botany and Plant Pathology Dept.
Agricultural Research Building
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN  47907

Phone:	(317) 494-0598#011#FAX:	(317) 494-5896
email:	webb at btny.purdue.edu