Thermal cyclers

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
Thu Mar 2 11:40:00 EST 1995

In Article <n1418026389.40670 at quickmail.clemson.edu> "Vance_Baird at QUICKMAIL.CLEMSON.EDU ("Vance Baird")" says:

> Dear Colleagues,
> I'd like a little advice before I purchase another thermal cycler.  We
> currently use the workhorse of the PCR trade, a P/E-480, and are happy with
> its performance - - but are not quite convinced the hefty price tag was/is
> really worth it.

	All PCR machines on the market will work for at least the ideal test
conditions, the problems come with the more tenuous conditions used with
experimental samples.
	I evaluated a toaster oven type a few years ago and was VERY
dissapointed.  Clocking temperature cycling with a thermocouple, I found that
it could not produced the advertised ramp rates.  This meant that I could
not reproduce amplifications of chromosomal genes done in an adjacent Perkin
Elmer machine.  We eventually paid the price for old reliable and
reproducable.  Some colleages also had similar problems with the old water
heat/cool units, but this is second hand info.  Good luck finding a good,
reliable alternative machine.  They probably to exist.
.
Leonard N. Bloksberg
bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
.