tobacco transformation

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
Wed Mar 15 11:17:00 EST 1995

In Article <Pine.ULT.3.90.950314165954.27086C-100000 at eclat> "slblowe at ECLAT.UCCS.EDU ("Sandy S. Berry-Lowe")" says:
> Dear Netters, I know that even though this is the arabidopsis
> network, many of you probably have done tobacco transformations.
> I wonder if any of you have germinated wildtype, non-transformed,
> seed on non-selective medium and then transferred the seedlings
> onto selective medium (kan). Did they grow? Obviously I have
> tried this and I would like to discuss my result with someone
> else. Please contact me directly and not through the newsgroup.
> Thanks, Sandy Berry-Lowe (slblowe at uccs.edu)

.
	I work with Nto.  I have germinated wt and transgenic Nto on basal
M&S both with and without Km-100.  They grow fine without the Km, but with
Km is a bit complicated.  The wt plants start to grow, and remain green, but
stagnate at the cotyledon stage.  This is quite different from Ath which
turn white and die.
	I have never tried the precice experiment of transfering them after
germination, but based on the mild response of seeds germinated on Km, I
would be cautious about it.  Good luck, and email me direct if you wish to
discuss this further.
.
Leonard N. Bloksberg
bloksber at pilot.msu.edu