Stratification vs. vernalization

jjc4 at PO.CWRU.EDU jjc4 at PO.CWRU.EDU
Mon Mar 20 15:56:39 EST 1995

Dear Arabinauts,

I have a question to place before you. The question
involves the correct usage of the words stratification
and vernalization. For many years, we have normally
stored Arabidopsis seed long-term in the cold (4C). When
we want to germinate those seed, we surface sterilize
them, plate them out on agar, place them in the cold
and dark (4C) overnight, and put them in the growth room
the next day (24C). We have been calling this
process of overnight cold treatment and imbibition
"vernalization". Is this the correct term? I have been
told that the correct term is "stratification" because
the process I described involves simultaneous cold
treatment and imbibition, while vernalization is only
a cold treatment. And moreso, I have been told that
vernalization is a specific treatment for flowering--
not germination. My Oxford Botany Dictionary seems to
agree with these descriptions, but you seldom seem to
see the word "stratification" in the Arabidopsis
literature. Can anyone more versed in such terminology
shed any light on this disagreement?

Jim Campanella
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, Ohio