py-201/cer8-1 and mapping

Tobias Baskin baskin at BIOSCI.MBP.MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Mar 29 15:26:27 EST 1995

        Greetings,
                  I have picked up linkage of a mutant in our lab to an
SSLP marker south on chromosome II. To refine the location and to place
this mutant on the genetic map, I am starting to do some crosses with
visible markers on the south part of cm II. Among the available markers
that I got from the stock center are py-201 and cer8-1.
        Py-201 is a thiamine-requiring auxotroph and without thiamine it
yellows and dies quickly. Does anyone have experience with rescuing this
allele? By growing seedlings on plates with plenty of thiamine, will they
then make it to flowering in pots with only water? Or will we have to give
them a weekly ? bi-weekly? dose of thiamine?
        Cer8-1 is one of the eceriferum lines, which have defects in their
wax production. Can this allele be scored at the seedling stage? I have
looked at adult plants before and found it very hard to score this trait.
Is there anyone out there who can suggest a reliable way to score cer8-1 in
a segregating population. The cer8-1 is in the landsberg background and our
mutation is in Columbia.
        Thanks in advance for any help,

        Tobias Baskin

       ___     ____   ^         ____        _____    Tobias I. Baskin
      /   \   /      / \       /    \      /        University of Missouri
     /    |  /      /   \     /           /        Biological Sciences
    /___ /  /__    /_____\   /           /__      109 Tucker Hall
   /       /      /       \  (          /        Columbia, MO 65211 USA
  /       /      /         \  \        /        voice: 314-882-0173
 /       /____  /           \  \____/ /_____   fax: 314-882-0123