Very interesting. 'Get a Ph.D. etc...'

Abdul K Janoudi janoudi at PILOT.MSU.EDU
Thu May 25 15:56:14 EST 1995

I recieved the following very interesting article that is directly relevant to
the discussion on the over-supply of Ph.D's.
It is a rather long article, but the author eventually makes some very good
points. I took the liberty of editing the article to focus on the relevant
issues.

> Scientific Elites and Scientific Illiterates
>
> by David Goodstein
> California Institute of Technology
>
> Today, with my customary modesty, I would like to follow in Albert's bicycle
> tracks and begin this talk by posing a paradox.  The paradox is that we, here
> in the United States today, have the finest scientists in the world, and we
> also have the worst science education in the world, or at least in the
> industrialized world.  There seems to be little doubt that both of these
> seemingly contradictory observations are true.  American scientists, trained
> in American graduate schools produced more Nobel Prizes, more scientific
> citations, more of just about anything you care to measure than any other
> country in the world; maybe more than the rest of the world combined.  Yet,
> students in American schools consistently rank at the bottom of all those
> from advanced nations in tests of scientific knowledge, and furthermore
> roughly 95% of the American public is consistently found to be scientifically
> illiterate by any rational standard.  How can we possibly have arrived
> at such a result?  How can our miserable system of education have produced
> such a brilliant community of scientists?  I would like to refer to this
> situation as The Paradox of the Scientific Elites and the Scientific
> Illiterates.
>
> In my view, these two seemingly contradictory observations are both true,
> and they are closely related to one another.  We have created a kind of
> feudal aristocracy in American science, where a privileged few hold court,
> while the toiling masses huddle in darkness, metaphorically speaking, of
> course.  However, I also think inexorable historic forces are at work that
> have already begun to bring those conditions to an end.  Not that light will
> be brought to the masses necessarily, but that our days at court are clearly
> numbered.
snip snip