love

kearns at MIT.EDU kearns at MIT.EDU
Wed May 24 19:36:11 EST 1995

I would like to add some humor to the dismal discourse I seem to have set off.
Here is a true story:

My boyfriend in Michigan during grad school became upset about the amount of
time I was spending in lab. He confronted me one day with his belief that I
was having an affair. He said he called me in lab on a number of nights and I
had not answered. Furthermore, on one occassion, someone else had answered
and had not found me at my bench. It turned out that I was purifying cytochrome
b5 in the cold room where there was no phone!

Whether in love with science or simply having an affair with a DEAE column, I
do need to point out,with the fondest respect for our colleague at Stony Brook,
that for some of us the option of becoming a carpenter to attract women isn't
that helpful. Can you imagine why? Hint: Barr Bodies.

Cheers!

Ellen Kearns