RNA isolation from ferns

Jacqueline Tuba Chernys chernysj at student.msu.edu
Fri May 26 13:17:46 EST 1995

I have been attempting to isolate RNA from two ferns, Marsilea and
Regnellidium, using conventional techniques. These attempts have been fairly
unsuccessful either because of the low yield obtained or because of the
impurity of the RNA. I think that one possible explanation for the lack of
success may be due to the presence of phenolic or other compounds in the fern
leaflets that fail to be removed during the initial extraction steps. I would
appreciate any suggestions as to how this problem may be overcome.
Jacqueline Chernys
DOE-Plant Research Lab
Michigan State University