fwd: Bill In congress for Ag. Research Needs your Support!

Prakash at ACD.TUSK.EDU Prakash at ACD.TUSK.EDU
Fri Nov 3 11:52:13 EST 1995

>Date: 03 Nov 1995 08:44:02 -0500
>From: sbr1 at ra.msstate.edu (Sonny Ramaswamy)
>To: sbr1 at ra.msstate.edu
>
>I am appending a notice about an upcoming legislative bill in Congress for
>research support.  I would appreciate your doing the needful and passing
>this information on to colleagues.  Thanks.
>
>Sonny
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>>The House and Senate Conferees considering budget reconciliation
>>legislation (H.R. 2491) have the opportunity to approve provisions for a
>>new program called the Agricultural Competitiveness Initiative (ACI).
>>The ACI would make available between $30 million and $500 million a year
>>in new dollars for competitive research.  Commodity price supports would
>>be a potential source of the competitive research funds.
>>
>>Key conferees Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN) and Congressman Pat Roberts
>>(R-KS) have made clear their support for an increase in
>>competitive agricultural research.  Your help is needed to support the
>>proposal for the ACI and to explain the need to support a continuum of
>>research including basic and applied studies.
>>
>>Following are the agriculture conferees for the budget reconciliation
>>legislation who will decide whether to create the ACI:
>>
>>Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN)
>>Sen. Bob Dole (R-KS)
>>Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC)
>>Sen. Thad Cochran (R-MS)
>>Sen. Larry Craig (R-ID)
>>Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT)
>>Sen. David Pryor (D-AR)
>>Congressman Pat Roberts (R-KS)
>>Congressman Steve Gunderson (R-WI)
>>Congressman Bill Emerson (R-MO)
>>Congressman Kika de la Garza (D-TX)
>>
>>If you live in the state of any of these Senators or are in the state or
>>district of these Congressmen listed above, please write, or even better,
>>call their offices to encourage support for the ACI.  If you live outside
>>the states and districts listed above, please contact your members of
>>Congress and ask them to urge the conferees to support the Agricultural
>>Competitiveness Initiative in the Budget Reconciliation Conference
>>Report.  Letters to Senators should be addressed to Senator       , U.S.
>>Senate, Washington, DC 20510.  Letters to Congressmen should be addressed
>>to Congressman        , U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, DC
>>20515.  Calls to members of Congress can be placed through the Capitol
>>Switchboard at 202-224-3121.  When the switchboard operator connects you to
>>your congressional office, ask to talk to the staff person who handles
>>agriculture legislation.  Ask to leave a message on their voice mail if
>>the staff you are trying to reach are not currently available.
>>
>>Please act soon.  Conferees were recently appointed and a conference
>>report could be completed shortly.  Following is a sample letter for your
>>use.  Variations to this sample letter to show the personal nature of the
> [...]

C. S. Prakash                           Prakash at Acd.Tusk.Edu
Tuskegee University                     Phone (334) 727 8023
School of Agriculture                   Fax (334) 727 8552
Tuskegee, AL 36088-1641