Take this pledge today!

Automatic Reply Program, by way of Prakash at acd.tusk.edu student-pugwash-pledge at IGC.APC.ORG
Tue Nov 7 20:55:06 EST 1995

THE FUTURE IS IN YOUR HANDS--WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH IT?  ARE YOU
WILLING TO WORK FOR A BETTER WORLD?

This message contains information on how you can take one small
step toward a brighter future for us all.

First, some background information:  On Friday, October 13, 1995,
the Norwegian Nobel Committee announced their decision to award
the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize to Professor Joseph Rotblat and the
Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs for their efforts
to "diminish the part played by nuclear arms in international
politics and in the longer run to eliminate such arms."

In celebration of this honor, Student Pugwash USA (SPUSA) has
initiated an exciting and historic movement to get a "million for
the millennium"--promises from one million students and young
professionals illustrating their commitment to the responsible use
of science and technology in the 21st century.  Through electronic
means, this has become a global initiative!  Student Pugwash will
present these pledges to Professor Rotblat in conjunction with the
Nobel Ceremony on December 10, 1995.

"So what does this pledge say?" you are asking.  Here is the text:

"I promise to work for a better world where science and technology
are used in socially responsible ways.  I will not use my
education for any purpose intended to harm human beings or the
environment.  Throughout my career, I will consider the ethical
implications of my work before I take action.  While the demands
placed upon me may be great, I sign this declaration because I
recognize that individual responsibility is the first step on the
path to peace."

-----HOW CAN YOU BE INVOLVED?-----

Live the pledge.  Read the pledge carefully.  The point is not to
sign it and forget about it, or to understand the pledge and
ignore it, but to incorporate it into your life.

Sign the pledge.  This campaign is not limited to students.  It is
not limited to scientists.  Anyone can sign the pledge (science
and technology touches everyone's life!).  Signing this pledge is
a personal commitment to its ideals.  For instructions on how to
sign the pledge electronically, see below.

Send the pledge to someone else.  Tell a friend--forward this
message or tell them to send a blank e-mail message to
student-pugwash-pledge at igc.org to receive this document.
Encourage them to take the pledge!

Organize around the pledge.  Do you know of a meeting of students
on campus, or a conference or event where interested people may be
gathered?  Check out the information on how to organize local
events around the pledge.  Send a blank e-mail message to
pledge-organizing at spusa.org.

Translate the pledge.  Translate the pledge into your language and
send it to us at pledge at spusa.org.

-----INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO SIGN THE PLEDGE ELECTRONICALLY-----

If you believe in the responsible use of science and technology,
and if you are willing to consider the ethical implications of
your work before taking action, then commit to the pledge, and let
us know.  We want to let the world know about how people of all
walks of life are making this promise to work for a better world.
To sign the pledge electronically, send an e-mail message in the
following way.  It is important to follow these instructions
exactly, as the responses will be tabulated electronically.

Send an e-mail message to submitpledge at spusa.org containing only
the following information EXACTLY AS SHOWN.  Be sure that you
press Enter (or Return) at the end of every line.

NAME=your name
ADDRESS=your street address
CITY=your city
STATE=your state
ZIP=your zip code or postal code
COUNTRY=your country
EMAIL=your e-mail address
SEX=male or female
EDUCATIONAL LEVEL=(choose one:) high school, undergraduate,
graduate, professional
AREA OF STUDY=(choose one:) humanities or science

A sample e-mail message might be:

NAME=Jane Smith
ADDRESS=Oak St. NW, Apt. 7
CITY=San Diego
STATE=CA
ZIP=92122
COUNTRY=USA
EMAIL=jsmith at ucsd.edu
SEX=female
EDUCATIONAL LEVEL=undergraduate
AREA OF STUDY=science

-----FOR MORE INFORMATION-----

For more information, send a blank e-mail message to:

pledge-organizing at spusa.org -- for how to organize and distribute
                               this pledge in your community
student-pugwash-info at spusa.org -- for Student Pugwash USA's
                                  mission and activities
student-pugwash-pledge at igc.org -- the pledge and how to sign it
                                  electronically (this document)

If you receive an error message, try again later.

If you want to be a regional organizer in this campaign, contact
us at pledge at spusa.org.

Check out the pledge on the World Wide Web, where you can find all
this information and more!
http://www.spusa.org/pugwash/pledge.html

WHAT IS STUDENT PUGWASH?

The International Student/Young Pugwash movement is composed of 24
national groups around the world.  They share a common mission of
providing the next generation of scientists, policy-makers and
managers of technology a forum to address and resolve complex
global problems.

Student Pugwash USA is an educational non-profit organization that
sponsors non-partisan and non-advocacy programs.  SPUSA has
chapters on college, university, and high school campuses and a
network of alumni and contacts extending to hundreds of campuses
across the United States.  SPUSA's mission is to promote a
commitment to the responsible use of science and technology in the
21st century and to encourage young people to integrate social
concerns into their academic, professional, and personal lives.
Contact SPUSA at:

Student Pugwash USA
815 15th Street, NW, Suite 814
Washington, DC 20005