Advice for journalist

Terry Delaney tpd4 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 17 10:06:50 EST 1995

In article <45tpn0$5h7 at news.ox.ac.uk>, Marc Knight
<Marc.Knight at plants.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> CRS at ANDREW.STANFORD.EDU ("Chris Somerville") wrote:
> >GLOWING PLANTS - AMERICAN SCIENTIST. I need a quick comment
> >on the viability of UK research into engineering a fluorescent
> >jellyfish protein into plants to measure calcium flux and thus
> >indicate stress levels due to infection in the plants. The
> >researchers say they will have plants that glow visibly when
> >stressed by 2000AD allowing  farmers to "see" whether their crops
> >are okay.>>> David  Bradley E-mail: BRADLEYD1 at rsc.org Fax: +44
> >1223 420247 Phone: +44 1223 420066 (10/12)
>
> Yes, Of course it's viable.  This is the research we (myself and
> Professor Tony Trewavas in Edinburgh) have pioneered and have used
> successfully over the last 4 years.

...references and other deleted...

> We are now involved in producing plants with visible light from the
> calcium-dependent photoprotein aequorin.  We are using Arabidopsis and a
> range of crop plants (hence the press releases).  Our results and
> predictions suggest that we will be able to crack this problem within the
> next 5 years and achieve our aim for visibly glowing reporter crop
> plants, used for the diagnosis of stresses such as cold, heat,
> mechanical, wounding, polution and pathogens.
>
> Marc Knight
> ==== ======
>
> (Department of Plant Sciences, University of Oxford, UK)

My question to Marc Knight pertains to the problem of delivery of the
aequorin substrate coelenterazine.  I assume from your contention that "of
course it's viable," that you have a solution to this problem?

Terry Delaney

mwwmwwmwwmwwmwwmwwmwwmwwmwwmwwmwwm
  Terrence P. Delaney
  Department of Plant Pathology