HELP:Synaptic physiologist setting up plant development lab

Elizabeth Adler Elizabeth.M.Adler at WILLIAMS.EDU
Fri Oct 27 15:50:33 EST 1995

I need to put together a student lab in plant development for next semester.
 It's for an advanced section of a freshman course in organism biology.  The
basic one week lab (for the non-advanced sections) is concerned with the
effects of IAA on shoot and root development, interactions of IAA and
kinetin and interactions of IAA and light.  I'd like to carry the general
theme of plant hormones and development into a laboratory that lasts for
about three weeks and has a discovery oriented approach. I've had some ideas
along the lines of identifying second messenger pathways that mediate the
effects of various hormones, looking at differentiation in response to
various hormones in a cell culture system and identifying the mutation in
plants with mutations in different hormonal pathways (or at different points
in a given hormonal pathway) but, as a neurobiologist, my perspective on
plant hormones and development is rather naive and I have no personal
experience with plant biology laboratories.

Any advice pertaining to experiences with laboratories along these lines,
appropriate arabidopsis mutants or other suggestions would be very much
appreciated.

Liz Adler

Elizabeth M. Adler
Dept. of Biology