nos promoter in Agro

Yasuo Niwa niwa at FNS1.U-SHIZUOKA-KEN.AC.JP
Sun Oct 29 22:18:21 EST 1995

At  5:45 PM 95.10.26 +0000, <Yves.Poirier at> wrote:
>Does anybody knows if the nos promoter is active in Agrobacterium. We are
>using a binary vector which has a nptII gene driven by the nos promoter for
>selection of plants on kanamycin. The vector has strep/spec resistance for
>selection of Agrobacterium and E. coli containing the plasmid. In one
>experiment, we transfected the Agro (which is kanamycin sensitive but
>gentamycin resistant) with the vector and selected by mistake with
>kanamycin and gentamycin...but the Agrobacterium grew well. We later
>checked and the right plasmid was present in Agro. The only explanation I
>have right now is that the nos promoter is active in Agro. Is this a known
>fact? If so, could somebody point a refernce to me?

E. coli and Agrobacterium carring the pGA482 binary vector (nos-nptII) can
be maintained with tet and 10 micro g/ml of kanamycin in their culture
medium.               Methods in Enzymology vol.153 p294

The concentration of kan depends on the type of nos promoter and ori.
       Yasuo Niwa, Ph. D.
 Laboratory of Plant Cell Technology
   University of Shizuoka
 52-1 Yada, Shizuoka 422, Japan