Arabidopsis telomeres and recombination

ARABIDOPSIS arabidopsis.arabidopsis at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 8 03:28:43 EST 1995

Recently Jim Campanella wrote:

>Dear Arabinetters,

>I have a quick question. Does Arabidopsis have
>markers near telomeres as in other higher
>organisms? It has been implied that this is the
>case. I have searched the literature
>for an answer to that question without much
>luck. If you've got a reference,that would be
>even better. Thanks a lot.

Signs so far are that arabidopsis does not have an increased frequency
of recombination near the telomeres.  Early work looking at synaptonemal
complexes suggested that most recombination events occured mid way down
chromosome arms ( Albini SM Plant J, 1994, 5: 665-672 or Albini & Jones)
Similarly recent work by R Schmidt et al where physical and genetic maps
are compared over the whole of a chromosome show no particular increase
near the telomeres (this one is in press)

Melanie Stammers
John Innes Centre
Norwich  UK
melanie.stammers at bbsrc.ac.uk