Day length

Pierre Lejeune plejeune at vm1.ulg.ac.be
Wed Sep 20 01:48:28 EST 1995

In article <43k1rt$k9f at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> RATCLIFF <FRANK.RATCLIFF at bbsrc.ac.uk> writes:
>From: RATCLIFF <FRANK.RATCLIFF at bbsrc.ac.uk>
>Newsgroups: bionet.genome.arabidopsis
>Subject: Day length
>Date: 18 Sep 1995 16:05:33 +0100
>Sender: lpddist at mserv1.dl.ac.uk

>I am trying to grow Columbia without them flowering, at least with
>delayed flowering. Can anybody tell me the daylength at which
>flowering is inducded?

>Thank you

>Frank Ratcliff

>Ratcliff at bbsrc.ac.uk

dear frank,

Arabidopsis is a quantitative long day plant, which means that flowering is
only DELAYED in short days. If you want to grow your plants vegetative for a
long period (2-3 months) try short days (8 h) at low irradiance (100
microEinstein or less). But remember, the plant WILL flower in the end.

Pierre Lejeune - Université de Liège - Belgium