SOMACLONAL VARIATION

Steven H. Pullen shpullen at unixg.ubc.ca
Tue Sep 26 00:04:44 EST 1995

As I understand, somaclonal variation is a major obstacle in regererating
Arabidopsis (re: after generating insertional mutations via T-DNA). I am
currently taking my first course in plant genetics and I cannot find
a very good definition of what exactly somaclonal variation is and how
its arises during tissue culturing.  I'm afraid this might be a reletively
easy question but I've exhausted all of my (limited) resources.  Any help
would be greatly approciated.  Thanks in advance.