mapping in no-o

Kendra Swirsding kaswirsding at UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Aug 6 19:09:28 EST 1996

I am trying to map a gene heterozygous in no-o that was crossed
with wild-type col-2.

So far I have worked with 13 of the 14 SSLP primers that are supposed
to give polymorphisms between col-2 and no-o.  The information I have
regarding SSLP polymorphisms between Arabidopsis ecotypes are the "PCR
product sizes from 6 ecotypes" table presented at the 1993 Ohio
Arabidopsis meeting and the list of new SSLPs from the Arabidopsis
thaliana Genome Center, April 12, 1996.

There was quite a bit of inconsistancy between the tables and my
results.  Upon using the 13 SSLPs, only 4 were close to agreeing with the
tables, ie, off by <8bp, when plotted on semilog paper (bp vs relative
mobility).  The others were off by up to 15bp (6 SSLPs) or showed no
polymorphism at all (3 SSLPs).

There are no other SSLPs that will show polymorphisms between no-o and
Col-2 according to these tables.  Although I am concerned that this may
not be true after all, since these references have not been very reliable
for no-o.  (Please note that they have been great for col-2 and ws-o.)

I have looked for CAPs to use in place of SSLPs, but none give
polymorphisms between no-o and col-2.  I have been referring to Drendard
and Ausubel's list of December 11, 1995.

Does anyone have any other SSLP or CAP information that might be useful?
Or some other ideas for checking areas of the genome quickly?  I would
really appreciate any responses.

Kendra Swirsding

Section of Plant Biology
University of California