Internet citations

plzmlh at vax.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk plzmlh at vax.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 9 04:14:15 EST 1996

Clint Chapple asks:

>I am currently preparing a manuscript in which we have compared the
>intron/exon boundary sequences of a new Arabidopsis genomic sequence to the
>consensus sequences tabulated at the Arabidopsis Web site at Stanford
>(HTTP://genome-www.stanford.edu /Arabidopsis/splice_site.html).

>My question is... how does one reference this sort of data?

>It's clear that the internet is going to have an important role in science
>in the time to come (check out this week's Science).  For example, has
>anyone ever been interested in citing something that had come out in Weeds
>World?  I suspect that this issue may come up more often in the future, so
>I'd be interested in hearing people's opinion about referencing the internet.

My understanding is that journals are accepting URLs as
references to pieces of information that are only distributed
electronically. My impression has been that the references
to electronic information are written in the same way as a personal
communication ie in brackets after the statement about the
information, rather than as a reference per se.

However, that is not true in all cases. For instance, if you were
to site something from Weeds World, since it has an ISSN
number it would be written in the reference section with
year, Vol and page numbers.

Best wishes

Mary Anderson
Editor, Weeds World