Homosexuality gene

Zoe Horn RYSH15A at prodigy.com
Tue Aug 13 12:22:22 EST 1996

First, let me explain. I'm ignorant. I'm a junior in a California public
high school where ignorance runs as freely throughout the campus as drugs
and macy's junior wear. We did not go into genetics at all in my biology
class, so I know very, very little. But I have a question anyway. I have
a few gay friends that recently came out. Even though they did not always
know they were gay, it was apparent. This would lead me to beleive that
homosexuality is caused by something genetic. I read in a book that some
scientists beleive that they may have found the gene on the X chromosome.
So, if I understand correctly, a mother would pass that gene on to her
son. If she gave it to her daughter then her other X would be there to
replace the faulty or missing protein so she would not be affected, right?
 So then, if that the gay gene, how do women get to be gay? The odds of
her getting two faulty X's are very small; much smaller than the males
chances of getting one. If this theory were true, then there would be way
more gay men than women, or am I missing something? The other theory the
book mentioned was that something went wrong in the developement of
gender in the fetus. Could someone please explain this to me? Also, I
would greatly appreciate some information on UC Davis' genetics program.
I am intrested in a career in genetics, which only adds to my frustration
with my current lack of knowledge.

       Thank you.