probes

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 13 03:54:04 EST 1996

Albrecht, H. wrote:

> Hello,
> When using small fragments as probes (e.g. <250 bp) what  radiolabeling
> procedure do you recommend  in order to get a reliable and good signal on
> filters? Currently I am using the random priming procedure.
> Thanks for replying to: albrecht at vegmail.ucdavis.edu

I'd probably use nick translation or riboprobes (for cloned fragments) for such small
probes. Random priming will give you a spread of sizes from very small up to 250,
with a average of about 100 bp. Yuo might find that the large proportion of small
probe fragments gives you a problem with noise/specificity.

Andy

 Email  : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Home   : andy at cycad.demon.co.uk     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
 Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW    : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/andy.html