Cover Letter and CV of Derek D.C. Ireland BSc

Derek Ireland ddci at IX.NETCOM.COM
Tue Aug 13 21:53:26 EST 1996

To Any Prospective Employers:

My name is Derek Ireland.  I am a graduate of the University of Victoria
(UVic), with a Bachelor of Science degree, majoring in microbiology.  I am
currently searching for a position that will begin my career in the
sciences, and would be very interested in working in your lab.

My interests in science are wide ranging.  Primarily, I am interested in
the areas of: molecular biology, immunology, virology, infectious diseases,
and biotechnology.  I am, of course, willing to work and learn in other
branches as well.
As can be seen in my resume, I have already had experience with a large
of assays involving the identification, isolation, sequencing and
manipulation of DNA in viruses and bacterial cultures, including:
conjugation experiments, DNA extractions from bacterial cultures,
polymerase chain reaction (PCR), Sanger method DNA sequencing, Southern
Blots, the use of restriction endonuclease, and DNA alignments.

I am a very quick learner, patient, and ready to work.  I feel that my
knowledge and abilities would be a great asset to you in your reseach and
would readily accept an opportunity to prove my worth. I look forward to
hearing from anyone needing a technician/associate to setting up an
interview appointment, at your convenience.  I may be reached easily at the
internet e-mail address:  ddci at

Please find my resume below this letter, and I have further references that
are available upon request.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank
you for considering me for this position.

Derek D.C. Ireland, B.Sc.
ddci at

3263 Henderson Rd.
Victoria, BC, Canada
V8P 5A5
Telephone: (604) 592-2600
            To work in a productive and professional laboratory, gaining
positive experience,
             and furthering my skills and knowledge as a scientist.

            University of Victoria
                Victoria, BC
                Bachelor of Science
                Faculty of Biochemistry and Microbiology, microbiology
major, May 1995
            Camosun College
                Victoria, BC
                Associate Diploma in Science
                General Studies, April 1992
            Oak Bay High School
                Victoria, BC
                Graduation, June 1988

            Century Country Club (April, 1996 - September, 1996)
                PO Box 248
                Anderson Hill Rd.
                Purchase, NY
                    First Assistant Tennis Professional
                    -  provide private instruction to persons of all ages
and abilities
                    -  organize and run corporate outings
                    -  assist in operation of the tennis professional shop
                         - racquet maintenance
                         - customer sales and service
            Laboratory of Dr. C. Upton (September 1994 - June 1995)
                Faculty of Biochemistry and Microbiology
                University of Victoria, Petch Building Room 150
                Victoria, BC
                    Research Assistant (Volunteer),
                    -  DNA cleavage using restriction endonucleases
                    -  DNA sequencing
                    -  DNA alignment studies (using Internet search
                    -  bacterial culture growth and maintenance
                    -  agarose gels
                    -  ELISA
                  Recreation Oak Bay (April 1989-April 1996)
                      1975 Bee St.
                      Victoria, BC
                          Head Coach Junior Development, September
1991-April 1995
                          -  responsible for the planning and
implementation of the junior programme
                              - plan and execute an annual training plan
for approximately
                                50 competitive juniors
                          -  organize ladder competitions and tournaments
                          -  work with parents to provide a positive growth
                          -  coach adult group lesson programmes
                          -  provide private instruction to persons of all
ages and abilities
                  Saanich Recreation (December 1988-May 1989)
                      3220 Cedar Hill Rd.
                      Victoria, BC
                          Tennis Coach
                          -  teach junior and adult group lesson programmes
                          -  provide private instruction to persons of all
ages and abilities
                  Jubilee Texaco (June 1987- September 1988)
                  1669 Fort St.
                  Victoria, BC
                      Service representative
                      -  service attend and automotive maintenance

     -  Fully certified Tennis Coach (Level II), Tennis Canada, 1991
     -  Tennis Coach Level III candidate, Tennis Canada, 1993
     -  National Tennis Rating Programme Rater, 1994
     -  Fully trained in First Aid and CPR, 1994
     -  Experience organizing and running tournaments and leagues
               - founded and organize the Victoria City Junior Tennis
     -  Extensive computer experience, including:
               IBM:  Microsoft Windows (3.x and 95); DOS; IBM OS/2,
                         word processing (WordPerfect and Microsoft Word);
                         spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel, Quattro Pro, and
Lotus 1-2-3);
                         database (Microsoft Access and Borland Paradox);
                         telecommunications; Internet; UNIX systems; HTML
     -  Photography and Photographic Processing
     typing:  52 words/min
     - Highly mechanical

     Holly R. Megson
             Racquet Sports Coordinator
             Recreation Oak Bay
             1975 Bee St.
             Victoria, BC
             ph#:  (604) 595-7946

    Dr. Victor Albert
    Director, Lewis B. Cullman Program for Molecular Systematics Studies
    New York Botanical Gardens
    Bronx, New York
    e-mail:  valbert at
     - other references available upon request