Killing algae in pots?

Leon Miguel lmiguel at uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 3 21:51:37 EST 1996

Hi,

Once again, I am having trouble with algae infecting pots in which I am
growing (trying to grow..) Arabidopsis.

I have two different media (i) coir/vermiculite/perlite, grown in free
draining pots and (ii) white sand and vermiculite in sealed pots.

I can steam the mix, sow under clean conditions (but not sterile as in
laminar flow, but still reasonably clean, with benches, balance and
spoons etc washed in bleach or ethanol), cover the pots in new plastic,
and get a nice crop of green algae. This usually kills about half my
plants, usually at  about 14 days. The algae is often worse in the sealed
pots. Note that the green algae is fairly mild compared with the
brown/orange algaes that I  had earlier: these could kill all plants wihtin
days.

Does anyone know of any algacides that are suitable for Arabidopsis? I
have been recommended simazine (toxic to Arabidopsis, but okay for some
larger species) and copper, which I am hesitant to use.

I think that I have done all I can as far as preparation goes, as I
really do not want to use a laminar flow hood for all my work (just too
many pots! Also, the infection may be occuring once they are placed in
the growth room, which is not sterile).

Any suggestions most welcome

Cheers

Leon

 --
Leon Miguel
Centre for Legumes in Mediterranean Agriculture (CLIMA)