meristem layer specific promoters- the replies

David Jackson djackson at NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Feb 6 20:10:46 EST 1996

        Many thanks to those who replied to my question about promoters
which drive expression in specific cell layers of the shoot apical
meristem.  As I suspected, there are few that fit the bill; several people
suggested anthocyanin promoters  which might be epidermal specific, or
rubisco, which might not be expressed in L1, but I doubt that these are
expressed at a high level in the shoot apical meristem.     The two most
promising candidates were the L1 specific LTP promoter from the Sommerville
lab., and the tobacco A3 gene from Ry Meeks Wagner's lab; that gene is
expressed  in L2 and L3 layers of the shoot apical meristem, although the
regulatory sequences have not, as yet, been defined. The replies/
references follow:

Chris Somerville <CRS at andrew.stanford.edu>

I think the LTP1 promoter described in Plant Physiol 105,35 may be
useful.  It seems to be highly expressed in meristems and also seems
to be epidermal-specific. Some of the artifactual GUS expression
reported in the paper may be due to the fact that due to a sequencing
error, the start site for translation was not correct as described
(now corrected in the genbank accession) and, as a result, the GUS
fusion was made downstream and out of frame with the normal
start-site of translation (our thanks to cathie martin for noticing
this).

Detlef Weigel <Detlef_Weigel at qm.salk.edu>

Dear David:
Ry Meeks-Wagner's lab published the tobacco A3 gene, which is
expressed in L2 and L3 of shoot meristems.
(The ref is Plant J. 8(1) 147-153.)

David Jackson,
Hake lab., PGEC,
800 Buchanan St., Albany CA 94710.