Proposed posting of new & updated Arab. sequences

Mike Cherry cherry at GENOME.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Feb 15 02:08:23 EST 1996

David Flanders wrote:
> We propose to post to this newsgroup, three-times a week, an
> automatically-generated list of new Arabidopsis DNA sequences in
> GenBank.  This will also include any GenBank Arabidopsis entry with an
> updated sequence, but will exclude those entries with changes only to
> the sequence annotation or references.
> ...(much deleted)...
> ATU04876    U04876     1921bp    mRNA     PLN      19-JAN-1996
>     Arabidopsis thaliana Columbia myo-inositol-1-phosphate synthase mRNA,
>      complete cds.
>     myo-inositol-1-phosphate synthase.
> ...(much deleted)...

We are still collecting responses to David Flanders' query to this
group about a proposal to regularly post a message listing newly
identified Arabidopsis DNA sequences.  I would like to add one note.
Many of the negative replies indicate that they do not feel these
messages would be useful because everyone should be using BLAST to
regularly search for their genes of interest.  My feeling is that
these proposed messages have little to do with BLAST searches.  If you
don't know the sequence of a gene then you cannot search for it,
however someone else may have identified it.  Moreover, you may simply
have a general interest in a particular functional class of gene and
thus seeing a new member of a family may be of great interest to you.
You should be doing regular searches of genes you work on so you will
know when an EST or a homolog in another species has been determined.
The proposed new Arabidopsis sequence messages are more for general
information on what genes have been placed in GenBank.  If you would
like to give your feedback on this proposal please send a message with
the subject "Sequence Survey" to:

 	atdb-curator at genome.stanford.edu

We thank you for your time and will summarize the responses to the
group in about a week.

Mike

J. Michael Cherry                       Internet: cherry at genome.stanford.edu
Department of Genetics                  Stanford University School of Medicine
Medical Center, Room M311               Stanford, California  94305-5120
Voice: 415-723-7541                     FAX: 415-723-7016