mendel's peas

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 15 12:44:20 EST 1996

Greenberg Jean wrote:

> A colleague of mine has asked me what is known about the molecular basis
> of the various mutants that Mendel worked with.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jean Greenberg
> Assistant Professor
> U. Colorado, Boulder
> greenbej at beagle.colorado.edu

Mendel's dwarf mutant of pea, now designated 'le', is deficient in one the later
enzymes in the gibberellin (GA) biosynthesis pathway. Le is believed to encode
3-beta-hydroxylase (Ingram et al. 1984, Plants 160: 455-463), which catalyses the
conversion of GA20 to GA1, the 'active' GA in many plants (to see the structure of
GA1, see our Web page at http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/hbg2.html). GAs act as
plant growth regulators and are involved throughout the life cycle of the plant, from
germination through flower induction and bolting (stem elongation) to fruit
development.

As far as I know, the Le gene has not yet been cloned, although the equivalent gene
from Arabidopsis, GA4, was recently isolated by T-DNA tagging (Chiang et al. (1995)
Plant Cell, 7: 195-201).

Andy

 Email  : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Home   : andy at cycad.demon.co.uk     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
 Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW    : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/andy.html