mendel's peas (fwd)

Greenberg Jean greenbej at BEAGLE.COLORADO.EDU
Thu Feb 15 10:55:49 EST 1996

A couple of people have written to me asking about what I learned about
Mendel's peas.  Everyone seems to know about the Cell paper of 1991(?) on
the starch-branching enzyme defect of the wrinkled pea.  Here is
information on the dwarf mutant from Andy Phillips.  More responses are
welcome.  Thanks to everyone who wrote to me.

Jean Greenberg
Assistant Professor
U. Colorado, Boulder
greenbej at beagle.colorado.edu

Mendel's dwarf mutant of pea, now designated 'le', is deficient in one the
later enzymes in the gibberellin (GA) biosynthesis pathway. Le is believed
to encode 3-beta-hydroxylase (Ingram et al. 1984, Plants 160: 455-463),
which catalyses the conversion of GA20 to GA1, the 'active' GA in many
plants (to see the structure of GA1, see our Web page at
http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/hbg2.html). GAs act as plant growth
regulators and are involved throughout the life cycle of the plant, from
germination through flower induction, bolting (stem elongation) to fruit
development.

As far as I know, the Le gene has not yet been cloned, although the
equivalent gene from Arabidopsis, GA4, was recently isolated by T-DNA
tagging (Chiang et al. (1995) Plant Cell, 7: 195-201).

Andy

 Email  : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Home   : andy at cycad.demon.co.uk     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
 Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/andy.html