Postdoc Position in UV-B Adaptation

Robert L. Last rll3 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu Feb 22 13:44:53 EST 1996

Postdoctoral Position in Arabidopsis UV-B Stress Adaptation

Our laboratory is investigating the biochemical mechanisms that plants use
for ultraviolet-B perception and protection. In published work we have used
Arabidopsis thaliana mutants to examine the roles of aromatic secondary
metabolites as sunscreens (Li et al, Plant Cell 5:171-179; Landry et al,
Plant Physiol. 109: 1159-1166). This analysis was recently extended to
identify mutants defective in other UV-B protective mechanisms by screening
for sensitivity to chronic UV-B radiation. One such mutant is defective in
light repair of cyclobutyl pyrimidine dimers, and is presumably a CPD
photolyase mutant. We are also screening for UV-B signal transduction
mutant. A postdoctoral associate is sought to continue work on
characterizing these mutants and cloning the effected genes. Experience in
protein biochemistry or genetics is desirable. Please send a CV, list of
publications and have four letters of reference sent directly to:

Robert L. Last
Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research
Cornell University
Tower Road
Ithaca, NY 14853-1801, USA
fax: 607-254-1242.

The Boyce Thompson Institute is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer; women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.