AtDB to provide sequence updates

David Flanders flanders at GENOME.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Feb 24 12:47:30 EST 1996

Thank you to all who took time to respond to my question regarding the
Stanford AtDB project's proposal to post a list of new Arabidopsis DNA
sequences on this newsgroup. All your comments were noted and appreciated.

Over 90% of replies were in favour (35 for, three against), but some
(five) of those in favour suggested that a thrice-weekly posting would be
too frequent. We have thus decided to implement this service on a weekly
basis. We will, however, monitor the situation and may alter the frequency
of postings at some stage.

Thus, every Saturday, starting today, I will post on this newsgroup a list
of new Arabidopsis DNA sequences in GenBank (the first follows this
message). Initially, this posting will be done "manually". Once things
appear to be working satisfactorily, this will be switched to an automatic
posting.

In addition to new Arabidopsis DNA sequences, the posted lists will also
include any GenBank Arabidopsis entry with an updated sequence, but will
exclude those entries with changes only to the sequence annotation or
references. EST DNA sequences will not be included. (For information, in
January, there were 35 new/updated GenBank Arabidopsis sequences,
excluding ESTs.  There were 1659 ESTs released.)

It is to be hoped that Mike Cherry's message of 14 Feb. will have cleared
up any confusion regarding the posting of new sequences as compared with
users doing individual BLAST searches.  For those of you who really don't
want to read the sequence postings, certain messages can be "filtered" out
with many mail programs or, if you have an internet connection,
newsreading software provides an excellent means of only reading messages
with subject headers that are of interest to you.  The current version
(2.0) of Netscape, for example, has a good newsreading facility.

Feedback to the Stanford AtDB project is always welcome. Please send
comments using the forms on our home page at URL:

	http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Arabidopsis/

or via e-mail to:

	atdb-curator at genome.stanford.edu

David Flanders