Help! My Arabidopsis seeds did not germinate under dark

Yiji Xia yxia at iastate.edu
Wed Jan 10 18:37:09 EST 1996

Dear Arabinetter:
I have failed to germinate Arabidopsis seeds under
dark condition. The treatment is as follows.
The seeds was harvested from a transgenic plant
(transformed by a report gene) which was originally
derived from a cross of Ler and Col. Two week after
harvesting, about 20 seeds were put on a wet filter
paper, sealed in a plate, covered with alumiun foil,
and put them at 4C for 2 day. Then I left them at room
temperature. After 10 days, although    most of
control seeds (treated same way except not covered
with alumiun foil) germinated, none of the seeds under
dark germinated. I repeated once later and got the
same result. I don't want to try again before I solve
the problem as I have limited number of the transgenic
seeds.
Could anyone give any suggestion? Did I do something
wrong? Is light reguired for germination under some
situation (for example, for newly harvested seeds)?
or???

Yiji Xia
B420 Agronomy, ISU
Ames, IA50011