Help! My Arabidopsis seeds did not germinate under dark

CK Wen cwen at aux.btny.purdue.edu
Sat Jan 13 10:09:24 EST 1996

Yiji Xia <yxia at iastate.edu> wrote:
>Dear Arabinetter:
>I have failed to germinate Arabidopsis seeds under
>dark condition. The treatment is as follows.
>The seeds was harvested from a transgenic plant
>(transformed by a report gene) which was originally
>derived from a cross of Ler and Col. Two week after
>harvesting, about 20 seeds were put on a wet filter
>paper, sealed in a plate, covered with alumiun foil,
>and put them at 4C for 2 day. Then I left them at room
>temperature. After 10 days, although    most of
>control seeds (treated same way except not covered
>with alumiun foil) germinated, none of the seeds under
>dark germinated. I repeated once later and got the
>same result. I don't want to try again before I solve
>the problem as I have limited number of the transgenic
>seeds.
>Could anyone give any suggestion? Did I do something
>wrong? Is light reguired for germination under some
>situation (for example, for newly harvested seeds)?
>or???
>
>Yiji Xia
>B420 Agronomy, ISU
>Ames, IA50011
>515-294-1659

Dear Yiji:
  I am not an Arabidopsis people to give you a possible answer for
your problem.  Do you know if phytochrome(s) is necessary for seed
germination? Some plants, for example, lettuce, needs red-light
treatment for dark germination, and in this case, phytochrome(s) is
activated from inactive form, Pr, to active form, Pfr, and then
germination may proceed.

regarding,

Chi-Kuang

ps. some people thinks both Pr and Pfr are active forms and have
different functions.