chloroplastic inheritance

Claudia Sutton cas9 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 7 09:42:46 EST 1996

In article <4hkiqs$q85 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Maria Carmen Diaz-Sala Galeano
<bvmcdg at bioveg.alcala.es> wrote:

> Hi,
> We're interested in cytoplasmic inheritance and we would like to know whether
> it's possible to have incompatibility problems between Arabidopsis ecotypes.
> On the other hand, I would appreciate information about findings in
> phenotypic differences in the descendants due to the cross direction.
> Has anybody found a chloroplast genome mutant yet?. Thank you.

You may be interested in the work of Kevin Pyke and Rachel Leech.  They
have reported several nuclear mutants with altered chloroplast
accumulation characteristics.  The key papers include:

Pyke, K. A. and Leech, R. M.  (1994)  A genetic analysis of chloroplast
division and expansion in Arabidopsis thaliana.  Plant Physiol 104:
201-207.

Pyke, K. A. and Leech, R. M.  (1992)  Chloroplast division and expansion
is radically altered by nuclear mutations in Arabidopsis thaliana.  Plant
Physiol 99:1005-1008.

Pyke, K. A. and Leech, R. M.  (1991)  A rapid image analysis screening
procedure for identifying chloroplast number mutants is mesophyll cells of
Arabidopsis thaliana.  Plant Physiol 96:1193-1195.

Best of Luck!

--
Susan K. Cousins
Cornell University