Help needed: disease identification

at rsvs.ulaval.ca at rsvs.ulaval.ca
Thu May 23 09:17:56 EST 1996

Unidentified Arabidopsis disease

Information search...

I seek help to identify and find a cure to a disease destroying some
of our Arabidopsis plants. This disease attacks plants grown in soil
in growth chambers. Up to now, attempts to identify this pathogen were
inconclusive.

The first symptom detected is a senescence of the basal leaves. This
senescence later spreads upward along all (or sometimes only one) of
the stems. A premature wilting of higher stems and inflorences is also
often observed, associated with a hook-like bending at a dried stem
segment.

The disease is presumed to be spreading vascularly. It does not appear
to be transmitted through seeds since a normal amount of disease is
noted among individuals originating from seeds collected on affected
plants. Furthermore, our seeds are routinely sterilized and germinated
in vitro. It seems also unlikely to be related to a nutrient
deficiency or an air-borne pathogen since it is often noted that only
one or a few plants per container are affected, even when several
plants touch each other.

We have experienced in the past a few, sporadic, occurrences of this
disease. The number of plants affected has, however, recently
increased severely. I would be very grateful for insights from anyone
facing a similar problem and/or having successfully identified and
defeated this pathogen. Thank you for your attention.

Martine Jean
Université Laval
e-mail: mjean at biota.rsvs.ulaval.ca