RFLP frequency(replys)

N.Yoshida m03149 at wrsun1.mipec.co.jp
Fri Nov 22 00:07:39 EST 1996

Thank you for everyone who replyed to my original message.
I would like to try more enzymes.
Thank you.

Here are the replys.
We have had quite good luck with RFLPs, scoring perhaps an RFLP with 10% of the
enzymes.  Using a 1-2 kb piece we usually get 1-2 polymorphisms from 10
enzymes.

CAPS also works quite well.  Because the probe being tested is usually smaller,
we test more enzymes.  We routinely test 30-40 enzymes and almost always get a
polymorphism.  Twice, however, we  have had to resort ot RFLPs, and there we
got polymorphisms fairly easily.

Rob McClung
Dartmouth College

Dear Nobu, we had a case where a Ler marker line (the one with visible
markers on both arms of chromosome 3) had in fact a stretch of Col-0 DNA.
So consider a cross to another ecotype, or one to a different Ler line, as
an additional option which has to be taken seriously.

        Andreas Bachmair
        Inst. of Botany
        Univ. of Vienna
        Rennweg 14
        A-1030 Vienna Austria
        Tel.: (+43) 1 79794 174
        Fax:  (+43) 1 79794 131
        e-mail: bachmair at S1.botanik.univie.ac.at

The chances of finding a RFLP have varied enourmously in our experience.
However, we recently had trouble with 2 different clones, both of which
gave us La/Col polymorphisms with CfoI, but not 16 other enzymes, so CfoI
might be worth a try!

* Brenda Winkel Shirley                                    *
* Assistant Professor           540-231-3013 (phone)       *
* Department of Biology         540-231-9307 (fax)         *
* Virginia Tech                 shirley at vt.edu             *
* Blacksburg, VA 24061-0406                                *

You may get a good result if you have tried 50 Enzymes.

>1.How often can you find RFLPs when you test a few enzymes(6 bases cutter)
> for a probe(1-10kb).

Test 6 to 10, in several cases you will be lucky, but it greatly varies.
Sometimes 40 or more are necessary.

> I would like to ask the same question regarding CAPS(0.5-2kb) with 4-5
> bases cutter enzymes

Same answer. On the other hand we just failed with a 3 kb PCR product to
find an RFLP testing > 50 enzymes.
What we do now is to amplify both Col/ LER and sequnce the POCR products
with the PCR primers from both end. A commercial company here reads approx.
500 bp of high quality. So you may find polymorphisms. (in the mentioned
case even that did not help so far.

>2.When I can not obtain any RFLPs with a few enzeymes, I try more enzymes
>  or longer prebe. Any other strategies can be taken?

Is answered above.

Good luck,

Tony Schaeffner

PLEASE NOTE THE NEW ADDRESS (STREET NAME AND ZIP CODE)

Dr. Tony Schaeffner
Institut f. Biochemie
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen
Feodor-Lynen-Str. 25
D-81377 Muenchen
Germany

Fax    +49-89-7401-7314
phone  +49-89-7401-7311
email  schaeff at lmb.uni-muenchen.de

YOSHIDA,Nobumasa
Bioscience Laboratory, Mitsui Petrochem.Ind.LTD
TEL:+81-8275-3-9211    FAX:+81-8275-3-8811
E-mail:yoshida at mipec.co.jp