Arabidopsis growth

miglia at nserv.icmat.mlib.cnr.it miglia at nserv.icmat.mlib.cnr.it
Thu Nov 21 04:21:36 EST 1996

Dear arabinetters,

As it seems most people are using standard conditions to grow
arabidopsis, e.g. 18-22 oC, 16-8 hours photoperiod, 2000 lux illumination,
60% humidity, etc.  I have however observed that the plant seems to need
different environmental conditions at different developmental stages.  Very
young plants apparently necessitate warmer temperatures, darker conditions,
and a lot of humidity. Rosette plants need cold, at least at night, and
less humidity. Flowering plants again need warmer temperatures and stronger
light.  Since growing arabidopsis is not always easy and a small mistake in
growth conditions can destroy your crop, I think the investigation about
optimal growth conditions for this plant should be deepened a little more.
If you can send me a description of the growth conditions you are using
with satisfaction now, I will collect them and post them on the net to
spread this precious information.

Thanks in advance.

Fernando Migliaccio
miglia at nserv.icmat.mlib.cnr.it

 *  Dr.Fernando Migliaccio                             *
 *  IBEV Institute/Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche  *
 *  00016 Monterotondo (Rome) Italy                    *
 *  Voice: ++39 6 90672530;  Fax: ++39 6 9064492       *
 *  E-mail: miglia at nserv.icmat.mlib.cnr.it             *