And now a word from our censor ...

Chris Somerville CRS at ANDREW.STANFORD.EDU
Tue Nov 26 18:21:55 EST 1996

As I mentioned in an earlier note, several members of the community
offered to take on the daunting task of ensuring quick filtering of
the messages to this newsgroup.  The basic problem is that we do not
want delays in service while someone is away.  Chuck Gasser and the
members of his lab have come up with what we hope will be a good
solution - they will do it collectively according to a set of rules
that they will announce.  Since someone will always be at the lab,
they anticipate a minimal delay for the filtering.  I forwarded some
letters of concern I recieved from the community to Chuck and he
responded thus:
 "I think we will do a good job as moderators, both
technically and in terms of philosophy.  As noted in one of my
earlier messages we intend to apply only the coarsest of filters to
the newsgroup.  That is, messages like the Kim Pruitt's message
(concerning a commercial database of interest to the community) will
be let through without question.  Only obvious spam (e. g. >>>>>MAKE
$$$MILLIONS FAST!!!<<<<) that has nothing to do with Arabidopsis,
plant biology, molecular biology, science etc. will be eliminated.
I will  post a message outlining the above philosophy and asking for
comments from interested parties.  I will be working with Dave to get
things set up so that they will run smoothely before we officially
initiate the moderation."

Further correspondence on this topic should be addressed to Chuck and
colleagues at the following address.  Thx Chris

Charles S. Gasser, Ph.D.
Professor
Section of Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of California
Davis, CA  95616
csgasser at ucdavis.edu
Tel. 916 752-1013