Root nuclear extracts

Price, Carl A price at OCELOT.RUTGERS.EDU
Wed Oct 2 16:49:19 EST 1996

In describing her experience in isolating nuclei from arabidopsis roots, Mary
Williams cautions that

"the nuclear pellet lies over a starch pellet - be careful to resuspend the
soft, easy -to -resuspend nuclei but leave behind the sticky, more opaque
starch pellet."

It's been a while since we isolated nuclei from anything, but I recall that
nuclei can be nicely separated from starch (and most everything else) by
isopycnic sedimentation in gradients of Percoll (or other silica sols). The
gradients should, of course, contain the same concentrations of solutes as in
the isolation medium. The sedimentation coefficients of nuclei are very large,
so that the time and speed of centrifugation should be just sufficient to
sediment the starch.

--Carl Price