growth chambers and microscopes

Elizabeth Schultz schultz at hg.uleth.ca
Fri Oct 11 06:29:14 EST 1996

Hi everyone.  I'm in the middle of searching for new growth chambers.
My previous experience, which was good, was with Conviron chambers.
However, I have also heard good things about the Percival chambers,
and they are considerably cheaper.  The types I am considering from
both companies are specifically designed for Arabidopsis (reduced
intershelf space to increase surface area/volume).   The models are
Conviron MTR30 and Percival PERAR-60L.  One concern I have is that the
light intensity in the Percival is significantly lower (275 uM/m2/s2)
than the Conviron (690 uM/m2/s2).  Anyone willing to share their
experiences with these things would be welcome.

My second question is another equipment search, this time for a stereo
microscope. So far, I'm considering Leica MZ12 and MZ8, Zeiss Stemi
2000C, and Nikon SMZ-10A and SMZ-U.  I'm planning to use these,
through video interface, for computer analysis (NIH image) of
epidermal cell shape, number etc. as well as for floral meristem
dissection.  So, I need relatively high quality, but am not certain my
needs warrant the cost of the highest quality models.  Again, any
suggestions on the best value would be wonderful.

thanks, elizabeth schultz