Constitutive probes (again?)

Chi-kuang Wen ckwen at expert.cc.purdue.edu
Thu Oct 17 09:38:09 EST 1996

Joel Andrew Krepps (jkreps at SCRIPPS.EDU) wrote:

: On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Jonathan Richard Howarth wrote:

: > Hello,
: > 	I am currently studying gene expression in Arabidopsis roots,
: > stems, leaves, flowers and siliques and am looking for a constitutive
: > probe for my northerns. I have previously tried an 18S ribosomal probe
: > which worked fine but I found I could not strip and reuse the filters
: > afterwrds. I then tried Actin (AAc1, Nairn et al., (1988) Gene, 65.
: > p247-257) but this seems to be more highly expressed in flowers and
: > perhaps less in leaves i.e. its not constitutive.
: > 	Does anyone who has done similar studies in the past have any
: > suggestions as to a better probe and if so where I could get it from.
: > Hope some one can help. My e-mail is jrh2 at st-andrews.ac.uk
: > 		Thanks for any advice,
: > 		Jonathan Howarth.
: >

In Ann. Rev of Plant Phys (I do not remember in which vol), it said that it's
difficult to find a truely constitutively expressed gene in the plants because
the plants are affected by the changing environment.  One of the truely
constitutively expressed gene has been identified is mitochondrial ATPase
b-subunit.
The beta-subuit is encoded by the nucleus and transported into the mitochondria.

Hope this helps.

Chi-Kuang

: Joel Kreps
: Postdoc