Constitutive probes (again?)

Chi-kuang Wen ckwen at
Thu Oct 17 09:38:09 EST 1996

Joel Andrew Krepps (jkreps at SCRIPPS.EDU) wrote:

: On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Jonathan Richard Howarth wrote:

: > Hello,
: > 	I am currently studying gene expression in Arabidopsis roots,
: > stems, leaves, flowers and siliques and am looking for a constitutive
: > probe for my northerns. I have previously tried an 18S ribosomal probe
: > which worked fine but I found I could not strip and reuse the filters
: > afterwrds. I then tried Actin (AAc1, Nairn et al., (1988) Gene, 65.
: > p247-257) but this seems to be more highly expressed in flowers and
: > perhaps less in leaves i.e. its not constitutive.
: > 	Does anyone who has done similar studies in the past have any
: > suggestions as to a better probe and if so where I could get it from.
: > Hope some one can help. My e-mail is jrh2 at
: > 		Thanks for any advice,
: > 		Jonathan Howarth.
: >

In Ann. Rev of Plant Phys (I do not remember in which vol), it said that it's
difficult to find a truely constitutively expressed gene in the plants because
the plants are affected by the changing environment.  One of the truely
constitutively expressed gene has been identified is mitochondrial ATPase
The beta-subuit is encoded by the nucleus and transported into the mitochondria.

Hope this helps.

: Joel Kreps
: Postdoc
: Dept. of Cell Biology