inducible promoter

Zhixiang Chen zchen at UIDAHO.EDU
Mon Oct 28 19:55:26 EST 1996

We have been trying to express a plant gene in potato but have not been
able to get any transgenic plant, probably due to toxic effects of the
expression of the gene in potato. Therefore, we are looking for an
inducible promoter that might be able to drive the expresion of this
potentially toxic gene.  We are aware of the Tet-35S promoter that has been
used as an inducible promoter in plants, but have also heard that plants
expressing relatively low levels of Tet repressor give high backgroud
levels, and plants expressing high levels of Tet repressor exhibit abnormal
phenotypes.  Also this system requires two selectable markers which are not
readily available in potato transformation.  We have also heard of a Cu
metal ion-inducible promoter, but do not know how well the promoter works.
We would appreciate receiving any information on any other inducible
promoters that can be used in plants.

Zhixiang Chen
Department of Microbiology,
Molecular Biology, and Biochemistry