EST coverage

Steve Rounsley rounsley at TIGR.ORG
Thu Sep 12 15:03:50 EST 1996

>Does anyone have any estimate of how extensively the
>Arabidopsis genome is covered by EST's? If I have a cDNA from
>another species which does not match an EST how likely is
>this to mean that there is no homologue in Arabidopsis?

The number of ESTs available for Arabidopsis likely represents a maximum of
about 50-60% of all genes if the total number of genes is about 20,000.
This is based on the number of non-overlapping EST fragments (approx
12000), but doesnt take into account ESTs that are from the same gene but
do not overlap.  I know this doesnt necessarily answer your question, but I
hope it gives you some idea.

Steve Rounsley

Steve Rounsley                                          Tel: (301) 838 3545
The Institute for Genomic Research                      Fax: (301) 838 0208
9712 Medical Center Drive
Rockville, MD  20850