vertical vs horizontal

Sneaky Weasel creel at BIOCH.TAMU.EDU
Fri Sep 13 08:24:34 EST 1996

        greetings

        i have been recieving several perplexing emails regarding
        the signal orientation onthe bac filter plates.. for example..

         have got your e-mail from the TAMU BAC filter manual -
        version 2 (on the Web).
        I have a question about the grid pattern on the filters,
        ad I wonder if you could help me with it.   I am working
        with the Arabidopsis library (384 well format).  It says
        in the manual that a HORIZONTAL signal orientation on filter
        A should correspond to well plate 2.  However, if you look
        at the disposition of the numbers shown below the written
        explanation, a HORIZONTAL signal should be 4, and number 2
        would give a VERTICAL signal.  What is right?

        this is about the 5th or 6th note ive gotten. this has me stumped,
        not the answer, which is of course plate 2 is vertical.. but
        as to how the error is being propagated. im in my web site
        right now and this is what i see on

                http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~creel/bacman2.html

                (this is the page for the 384 well manual on the site)

**********************
You have received 3 Hybond N+ filters (approx 7.5 x 11 cm).
Each filter has a label on the right lower rear side of the
filter (usually a number and a letter) and the right upper
corner cut. Each filter contains 384 3x3 grids, with filter
A comprised of 384 well plates 1 to 4, filter B 5 to 8, and
filter C 9 to 12. The grid pattern is described below for
filter A and will increase the signal to noise since there
should be two hybridization signals. Furthermore, the
orientation of the signal will determine the 384 plate number.
That is, a signal orientation of vertical on filter A would
                                 ^^^^^^^^
correspond to 384 well plate 2. Likewise, for filter B or C
                       ^^^^^^^
the 384 plate number would be 6 or 10, respectively.
******************************

        it seems to me that vertical is pretty well stated
        on the page.

        So my question is.. are other people using another
        site? if so, just what site are people using that has this
        error in it?.. id have thought since i can see the word
        vertical others can too... any info users can provide
        would be helpful.. thanks

        anyway a vertical signal corresponds to 2

        bob

Bob Creelman
Department of Biophysics/Biochemistry   "One of the signs of Napoleon's
Crop Biotechnology Center                greatness is the fact that he
Texas A&M University                     once had a publisher shot"
College Station, Tx 77843
409-862-4796 (OFF)                           Sigfried Unseld
409-862-4790 (FAX)
http.tamu.edu:8000/~creel <--- BAC web page