Isolation of GA and ABA

Robert Willows Robert_Willows at brown.edu
Fri Sep 13 03:01:51 EST 1996

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.960911161137.15663B-100000 at wpi.WPI.EDU>, Kristin
Wobbe <kwobbe at wpi.edu> wrote:

> I have a student who is interested in isolating and characterizing
> terpenes in Arabidopsis.  As a starter project, we thought that she should
> try to isolate gibberellic acid and abscisic acid, just to familiarize us
> with the extraction and TLC techniques.  We have had some difficulty in
> finding protocols to do this.  Can anyone point us to a reference that has
> such a protocol, or send us a protocol?  Thank you.
> Kris Wobbe
> Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
> Worcester Polytechnic Institute

A good technique for the extraction of ABA and its catabolites is in
Vaughan and Milborrow (1984) J. Chromatography 336, pp 221-228. HPLC is
used in subsequent steps but a TLC method that can also be used is in
Zeevaart and Milborrow (1976) Phytochemistry, 15, pp493-500.

Robert

--
Robert Willows
Email: Robert_Willows at brwon.edu