collecting root exudates

Robert Roszak Robert.Roszak at univ-lille1.fr
Mon Sep 30 05:44:32 EST 1996

>Does anyone out there in Arabidopsis land know of a good set-up for growing
>Arabidopsis plants in sterile conditions for collecting root exudates?  I'm
>planning on characterizing polypeptides in root exudates, and would greatly
>appreciate any ideas on how to set up the plants.  In particular, I want to
>have the roots in the aqueous growth medium but the shoots kept out of the
>medium.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Karen Century
>century at aesop.rutgers.edu

Dear Dr Century,
we have soon have similar problem with our roots. In our case, we have to
change the media during culturing. And we have solved the problem. When
seedlings are sufficiently old, we dispose the young seedlings on plastic
wire netting (with small mesh). The seedlings cannot fall down in the liquid
medium and shoots can grow out of the medium. Nearly all the plastic wire
netting sales in Do-it-your-self or gardening stores can be autoclave. For
Arabidopsis, you have to evacuate excessive humidity to allow shoots
growing. You can use urgopore or containers with caps who allow humidity escape.
Your Faithfully,

Robert ROSZAK
Equipe de Physiologie et Génétique Moléculaire Végétale
Bat SN2-USTL
F-59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq Cedex
FRANCE

tel (33) 20 43 65 96