Sequence Release Policies

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Thu Apr 3 11:48:12 EST 1997

Sakis Theologis (theo at mendel.berkeley.edu) wrote:

[good stuff deleted]
>We have submitted to GenBank the following sequences:
>
>BAC  F19P19    Phase III      AC000104       Annotated
>BAC  F7G19     Phase III      AC000106       Annotated
>BAC  F21M12    Phase I        AC000132
>BAC  F19K23    Phase II       AC000375
>YAC  yUP8H12   Phase I        AC000098

I just glanced at the annotated sequences
(http://pgec-genome.pw.usda.gov/annotation.html) and noticed that only 22
of the 54 putative protein coding genes (41%) were represented in the EST
collection.  I expected this number to be somewhat larger.  Is this also
surprising to the folks generating ESTs out there, or is the problem in my
expectations?  Perhaps there are just a lot of expressed genes not in the
cDNA libraries used to generate ESTs...

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html