Sequence Release Policies

Richard Cooke richard at sunlpv1.univ-perp.fr
Fri Apr 4 11:29:35 EST 1997

>Sakis Theologis (theo at mendel.berkeley.edu) wrote:
>
>[good stuff deleted]
>>We have submitted to GenBank the following sequences:
>>
>>BAC  F19P19    Phase III      AC000104       Annotated
>>BAC  F7G19     Phase III      AC000106       Annotated
>>BAC  F21M12    Phase I        AC000132
>>BAC  F19K23    Phase II       AC000375
>>YAC  yUP8H12   Phase I        AC000098

and Jonathan Monroe asked:

>I just glanced at the annotated sequences
>(http://pgec-genome.pw.usda.gov/annotation.html) and noticed that only 22
>of the 54 putative protein coding genes (41%) were represented in the EST
>collection.  I expected this number to be somewhat larger.  Is this also
>surprising to the folks generating ESTs out there, or is the problem in my
>expectations?  Perhaps there are just a lot of expressed genes not in the
>cDNA libraries used to generate ESTs...
>
>Jon

We estimate that there are about 8,000 unique genes tagged by ESTs at
present. Based on 20,000 genes overall, that makes 40%, which seems about
right! Many genes expressed at a low level will not have been tagged by
systematic sequencing and cDNA libraries have not been prepared in all
possible growth conditions.

Richard Cooke

Richard Cooke
LPBMP UMR5545 CNRS