Arabidopsis not growing.

Michael J. Prigge prigge at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Aug 5 10:57:31 EST 1997

In article <33E27521.5FF3 at worldy.com>, kbhat at worldy.com wrote:

> I started some old wildtype arabidopsis seeds, they started off fine
> but  now they they have stopped at 1 cm, first leaf stage.  Is there
> something special that has to be done to allow growth after this stage.
> Some of my plants are in pots some are on dishes yet neither of them are
> grwoing.  The one in the pot grew after I transplanted it but has not
> gone beyond the first leaf stage.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Weird...One idea that pops into my mind is that the seeds got a dose of
radiation somehow. That is what (I interpreted to have) happened to me
once when I received a batch from overseas. The germination was dismal
(<1%), and the 2 or 3 that did germinate, died soon thereafter.

Is your germination freq. low? If so, try getting some new seed and see
if it'll grow. (Incidently, I have never had problems with trans-Atlantic
seed that traveled in a tin can like NASC uses to send out seed.)

Good Luck
Mike
Michael Prigge                          Phone: (541) 346-4256
Institute of Molecular Biology            Fax: (541) 346-5891
University of Oregon /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\