Part-time AtDB Curator Position

Mike Cherry cherry at genome.Stanford.EDU
Mon Aug 25 18:27:37 EST 1997

A PART-TIME CURATOR is sought by AtDB, the Arabidopsis thaliana Database,
which is based in the Dept. of Genetics at Stanford Medical School.

At this time we will not be considering anyone wishing to work
remotely.  The database is changing quickly and we need people to work
at Stanford.

Candidates should have a strong background (graduate work) in plant
molecular biology/genetics, preferably with some Arabidopsis experience,
an eye for detail, general knowledge of biology, excellent writing skills,
and an aptitude to work with computers.  No programming is involved with
this position.  Experience with Macintosh (notably Excel) and UNIX (emacs)
and relational databases would be an advantage, but is not essential, as
training will be given.

All duties will be computer-based and will focus on bringing data in AtDB
up-to-date. This position will involve some, or all, of the following
topics: gene and protein information, physical and genetic maps, and
characterization of the new genomic sequences. This will requires using
the Web, various software tools on our computers, and occasional library
research.

The position is part-time and will be paid on a hourly basis, salary
to match experience. Scheduling of hours is very flexible, but can
total up to 20 hours a week. It is a useful starting position for
someone interested in moving away from wet/dirt lab work into more
computer-based positions, and/or to Ph.D's are who are no longer able
to work full-time.

For more information, please contact:
Mike Cherry (cherry at genome.stanford.edu 650-723-7541) or
David Flanders (flanders at genome.stanford.edu 650-725-3062).